Welcome to my stop on the Banned Books Week Giveaway Hop hosted by Jen at I Read Banned Books and Kathy at I Am A Reader, Not A Writer.
Banned Books Week is an annual event celebrating the freedom to read. Typically held during the last week of September, it highlights the value of free and open access to information. Banned Books Week brings together the entire book community –- librarians, booksellers, publishers, journalists, teachers, and readers of all types –- in shared support of the freedom to seek and to express ideas, even those some consider unorthodox or unpopular.
By focusing on efforts across the country to remove or restrict access to books, Banned Books Week draws national attention to the harms of censorship.
Banned Books Week 2012 marks its 30th anniversary. (ALA.org)
What You Can Win
The prize is your choice of one of the above books, which have all been challenged, restricted, or banned at various libraries and/or institutions over the years. They are also some of my very favorites. You can click on their titles below to find more information about them on Goodreads.
James and the Giant Peachby Roald Dahl
Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
How To Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
To find more controversial titles, check out ALA's list of Frequently Challenged Books.
- Be thirteen (13) years old, have parental consent, or lie about it. (Please don't do that.)
- Live somewhere that can get shipments from Amazon, Fishpond, or the Book Depository for free.
- Be Awesome (and fill out the Rafflecopter).
- Following is NOT required, but it is always appreciated. Your options are on my sidebar, but I will tell you that I am yet to figure out Linky.
- You can help me spread the word, but it isn't required either.
You're also welcome to enter my OTHER GIVEAWAYS while you're here. Thanks for stopping by and happy hopping!