Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Top Ten Book Cover Trends
1. Girls in Dresses on Historical Romance Novels
This is so much better than half-naked men and women who, more often than not, are making odd faces.
2. Covers That Actually Depict Scenes in the Book
3. Single Images That Make a Statement
First, because they're so pretty. But also because it gives me just a glimpse of what the story will be about without having to read the blurb.
4. Each Book Cover in a Series Has a Different Dominant Bold Color
Sarah MacLean's The Rules of Scoundrels series also has different colors for each cover.
5. Using Pearls, a Tie, Etc. as a Euphemism for Erotica/New Adult
Mostly because then I will know not to read the book. I like some New Adult, but not the mostly erotica books.
6. Half-Dressed Girls Wearing Skin Tight Clothing
Said clothing most likely being leather and not covering the stomach and chest of the girl.
7. Girls in Dresses on All the YA Romance Novels
Sure the covers are pretty, but there are way too many YA book covers with a girl in a pretty dress.
8. Half-Naked Men
9. Using the Same Cover as Another Book
I don't remember the other book that had the same cover, but it makes me not want to read a book that obviously uses the same cover, especially if the first book is extremely popular. It just seems lazy and like the book is trying to copy the success of the first book.
10. Only a Girl's Face
Like the pretty dresses, this tells me absolutely nothing about the book, except that it is probably YA and contains some romance.
Covers that depict the scenery of a book made my list too - especially when the setting is fantastical!ReplyDelete
Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction
Yes! I love seeing fantasy scenes on books - especially anything with dragons! Seeing a dragon scene on a book will probably guarantee that I'll want to read any book! Thanks for stopping by our Top Ten!Delete